Under the auspices of the Romanian National Opera of Cluj-Napoca (RNOC), the Transylvanian Opera Academy (TOA) opens its inaugural year as an international, selective professional development program for emerging operatic artists. Up to 8 young singers and 2 apprentice coaches will be accepted into the program upon successfully auditioning for a jury of established professionals.
TOA will offer its young artists a rich mix of coachings, masterclasses, repertoire class, and seminars focusing on performance optimization. A staged mainstage performance of Mozart’s Don Giovanni will be a centerpiece of this year’s fellowship season.
Other performance opportunities will include chamber recitals, showcases, outreach programs, and mainstage roles as secondary or cover singers. Encounters with agents, casting directors, and general managers will also be arranged.
Each TOA fellow will receive full tuition for the program, and particularly gifted individuals may receive scholarships.
Application and Auditions
All applicants must fulfill the following criteria :
– be under 35 years old by the audition date
– hold EU citizenship and be fully eligible to live and work in Romania
– hold at least an undergraduate degree in music from a recognized institution
– be available and committed to make the TOA fellowship a principle priority for the upcoming season
All interested applicants must submit the following materials by uploading them below:
– a completed application form on the TOA page of the RNOC website
– a professional photo
– a professional resume no longer than 2 pages in length
– a copy of all diplomas
– a copy of an official ID or passport
All application materials must be received, fully uploaded, by Friday, June 23. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Pianists’ Audition requirements:
– an Etude from F. Chopin, C. Debussy, or S. Rachmaninoff
– a first movement from a classical sonata (no repeats)
– Sing and play the following excerpts:
1. Don Giovanni, Finale Act 1
2. Nozze di Figaro, Finale Act 2
3. Carmen, Quintet from Act 2
* Sightreading will be required
The first round of auditions will take place at the RNOC’s “Sala Lucia Stanescu” on Monday, June 26th. The finals will take place on Tuesday, June 27 at the same location. Results from the two rounds will be posted on the “Avizier” section of the RNOC building, as well as on TOA’s Facebook Page.
Further information about specific times will be communicated accordingly.